Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Star Trek Opens May 8!

I am so excited. Not only is there a new Star Trek coming out in a few weeks, but it looks great. I really think that it needs to be a big hit. The rumor is that it cost something like one hundred and fifty million dollars which would the most (by far) ever spent on a Star Trek flick.

J.J. Abrams is the man behind the motion picture and that is encouraging even though he doesn't claim to be a very big Star Trek fan. I guess that is okay. After all Bryan Singer wasn't a big X men fan before that franchise and things turned out okay there. But Abrams has been solid in television with Lost etc. I don't know much about his other feature films, but he has a good sense of scope and seems to understand sci-fi.

The question in my mind is does he respect the characters and the history. First Captain Kirk is just a cool character and no one who is movie savy would disrespect his legacy in any way especially in a Star Trek movie. Kirk is pretty much a golden character and as captain of the Enterprise he captivated the imagination of geeks everywhere. We can only hope that Chris Pine does as well as William Shatner even though that is a tough bridge to hurdle.

Over all I am superpsyched and will be there when the new trek opens on May 8. Check back here as I will have my reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment