Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Star Trek Breaks $250 Million

Well, the new Star Trek movie has exceeded even my boldest expectations. While I liked the film very much, I especially thought that Chris Pine as Kirk was stellar, I never could have guessed that the film would have breached the $250 million mark. So where does this leave the Star Trek franchise?

I would say it leaves the flagship franchise in very good shape. A new Star Trek script has already been commissioned and early word is old friend Khan might be involved. I don't think that this is the best idea, but I have faith in J.J. Abrams. So, I will withhold judgment on any Star Trek sequel ideas at the time being.

The other thing I was quite impressed with with this Star Trek's box office take is the strength of the foreign box office receipts. Star Trek has never been a huge hit internationally and I have been a little bit surprised at the strength that the movie has shown overseas. Sure, it wasn't an international smash like Transformers, but I think that its international take is the best ever for a Star Trek film. So I was quite pleased with that.

I will be back with Star Trek news and takes as they become available.

No comments:

Post a Comment